Saturday 13 January 2018

New Effect: The HyperLight Ringmodulated Delay

I've been working for a little while on a circuit called the HyperLight. It is a very basic lo-fi PT2399 based delay with a ringmodulator in the delay path. Your dry tone stays dry, the repeats come back in Dalek form.

I was inspired by the soundtrack for the game Hyper Light Drifter, by Disasterpeace, which is divinely atmospheric in a decayed future sort of a way.

After a lot of twiddling over the breadboard, I have a complete version. Thanks to OSH park, I have some boards for it as well.

The controls are delay time, modulator frequency and feedback. There is also a trimpot mounted on the board which controls how much signal is returned from the ringmod vs 'clean' delayed tone from the PT2399. There is also an optional switch which puts it into 'experimental mode' - that is, it redirects the delay time pin from pin 6 through a 47k resistor to pin 5 of the LM567 chip. It gives a much shorter delay and makes it sound more like a normal ring modulator, but with the clean signal still present. An image:


And some sound samples:
You can get some pretty cool hypnotic twinkly robot noises behind your normal playing. Obviously being a ring mod type effect it handles single notes better than chords but can fatten up chord work in weird ways when using lots of distortion. But I liked it and I'd like to share the effect with the world.

I will very soon have boards for sale. I will also add a schematic, and if I get round to it, a tagboard layout.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work!
    im waiting for schemo, i want build this in 1590A <3
    i believe when you released schematic, tagboard and effectlayout will make their layout

    thank you

    ReplyDelete